The Town Hall square of Kaunas is situated in the heart of Kaunas. The construction of the town hall begun in 1542 and it combined styles of late-baroque, early classicism and Gothic architecture as it was reconstructed over the years. Over the centuries, the Old Town Hall, was constantly re-purposed, as nowadays it is the home of the city’s Ceramics Museum, as well as holds numerous public and private events.
The tower of the Town Hall is 53m high and shows a panoramic view of the city, rising above the square, which surrounds the Town Hall. Back in the day, the tower held a few shops on the ground floor, with the municipal rooms situated above. The building also served as a prison, with the prisoner cells located in the basement.
The place was remade in 1780, with the addition of new statues of Lithuania’s Grand Dukes. Unfortunately, the statues mysteriously disappeared not long before the Old Town Hall was re-purposed as a church in 1824. Then the Russian Empire took over soon after, and the building was re-purposed once again, this time as a roadhouse of the tsar. This turned the square into the economic center of the city.
Nowadays, like a lot of similar places, the place is a meeting place of both tourists and locals and is especially crowded during the warm summer months. The square is surrounded by restaurants, bars and cafes. During the winter, the square changes completely, as the outdoor ice-skating rink opens and the stalls with food and hot beverages appear.
<iframe width="720" height="410" style="border:0" webkitallowfullscreen="true" scrolling="no" mozallowfullscreen="true" allowfullscreen="true" src="https://balticlivecam.com/cameras/lithuania/kaunas/kaunas-central-square/?embed"></iframe><div>Broadcast is powered by <a href="https://balticlivecam.com/cameras/lithuania/kaunas/kaunas-central-square/">Baltic Live Cam</a></div>