View from IMPERIAL Hotel & Restaurant

Vilnius , Lithuania
acb

The Lithuanian National Philharmonic Society was established in 1940 as State Philharmonic of the Lithuanian SSR and after the collapse of the Soviet union became a designated national cultural institution. In the XVI century, before the Philharmonic was established, there was an indoor market, which was partially demolished at the end of XIX century. Afterwards, the building was reconstructed and repurposed countless times. Over the years, the building was re-purposed countless times – it was used as a theater and concert hall, lecture hall and a governmental building.

Nowadays, the Philharmony is the largest concert organisation in Lithuania, which holds the status of the national cultural institution since 1998. The Philharmonic Society act as a main organizer of countless music events and concert cycles Vilnius, such as the Vilnius Festival, as well as outside Vilnius, including the Nakties Serenados (Night Serenades) in Palanga, and the Kuršių Nerija in Neringa. The Philharmonic Society works with the most renowned Lithuanian national musical collectives and orchestras. The building of the Philharmonic Society is situated in the center of the Old Town, with the concerts usually held in the Concert Hall and Chamber Hall.

Choose country
Lithuania
Choose city
Vilnius

Report a mistake !

The architecture of the Philharmony blends eclectic style with elements of various other styles, touches of which were added during the renovations. Every evening, the building is illuminated with lights, which adds to the overall charm.