Town Hall of SandomierzSandomierz , Poland
Report a mistake!
<iframe width="720" height="410" style="border:0" webkitallowfullscreen="true" scrolling="no" mozallowfullscreen="true" allowfullscreen="true" src="https://balticlivecam.com/cameras/poland/sandomierz/town-hall-of-sandomierz/?embed"></iframe><div>Broadcast is powered by <a href="https://balticlivecam.com/cameras/poland/sandomierz/town-hall-of-sandomierz/">Baltic Live Cam</a></div>
Town Hall Square of Sandomierz
In this PTZ webcam, you have the opportunity to get acquainted with the beautiful town hall of the city of Sandomierz, built in 1349. Previously, the City Hall in the live broadcast was a square structure topped by a high octagonal tower. The southern part of the town hall belongs to this time. In the 16th century, the tower acquired the shape of an elongated rectangle and was crowned with a brick attic.
In the 17th century, the tower, which is captured by the online camera, was rebuilt. On the ground floor there is a department of the local history museum, in the basement there is a club of the Sandomierz cultural society “Lapidarium”. The first floor is occupied by the presentable premises of the City Council and the civil registry office.
On the east side of the town hall, in the live camera, there is a monument to Our Lady of the Virgin Mary of 1776.
Sandomierz, where the online stream comes from, is an old town, picturesquely located on the edge of the Kielce-Sandomierz Uplands by the Vistula River.
Along with the neighboring town of Zawichost, Sandomierz, shown in the webcam, constituted a junction of the trade route from Western Europe through Wroclaw, Krakow, Wiślica to Russia and further east to the Mongol Empire.
Besides the brightest attraction – the City Hall, which is well demonstrated in a live feed, Sandomierz has other interesting historical monuments.
One of them, Kamienica Olenicki, has preserved its original layout. Next to this building there is the entrance to the Underground Tourist Route and merchant cellars from the 15th-18th centuries.
In the vicinity of Sandomierz, silicon mining is developed, therefore, stone processing workshops are in the city.
An interesting attraction is the Długosz House. This monastic guesthouse was built in 1476 by John Dlugosz.
There is a beautiful castle in the city, erected on the site of the first fortress of the 10th century. It was founded by Polish kings in the 14th century. In 1525, the fortress was transformed into a Renaissance residence according to the project of Benedict.
In 1656, the Swedish conquerors blew up the citadel. Only its western wing was not damaged, where there was a prison since 1821.
The restoration of the castle took place from 1960 to 1986. Today the Regional Museum is located here.
Among the religious monuments stand out: the Church of St. Michael and the former 17th century Benedictine monastery, founded by Sophia Senyavskaya. The Higher Theological Seminary has been working here since 1903.
An interesting sight is the gothic entrance city “Opatowska Gate” of the 14th century. They appeared during the reign of King Casimir the Great. At the top of the gate, in the place of the preserved fortress wall, there is an observation deck.
Not far from Sandomierz, which historical center is visible in the online camera, there is a geological and natural reserve “Pepper Hills”. Along the steep bank of the Vistula River, there are beds of Cambrian shales, cut by ravines. Here grow 15 varieties of wild rose.
Tourists do not remain indifferent after visiting Queen Jadwiga’s ravine. According to legend, Queen Jadwiga of Poland walked along it on her way to the Church of St. James.